A Raspberry Pi Zero and Pi Zero W (abbreviated here as PiZ) is a small size computer tethered to the wall power outlet. It needs the power via the micro-USB cable to operate. When PiZ needs to be moved from one location to another, it needs to be shut down and rebooted. If the power fails, the PiZ shuts down without a proper shutdown sequence, sometimes with catastrophic after effects. PiZ-UpTime provides clean, stable, reliable uninterruptable (UPS) power to PiZ. Pi-UpTime provides power mobility for PiZ.
Install one Lithium Ion 14500 battery1 in the PiZ-UpTime and the PiZ continues to operate when power fails or when the power plug is disconnected. The batteries are charged when power is available. When power fails, the necessary power is generated from the batteries by PiZ-UpTime to power the PiZ, the peripherals attached to it and provide UPS power to USB Power Out port. The micro-USB port provides 5V. PiUpTIme has the Raspberry Pi header already soldered on it. If a header is already soldered onto PiZ, UPS power is provided via the header. If the header is not soldered on the PiZ, a micro-USB to micro-USB cable can power the PiZ. PiZ-UpTime can be mounted on Pi-Z using spacers. After a power failure (or unplugging the power) PiZ-UpTime
automatically charges the battery when power is restored. Power demands placed by the peripherals attached to the PiZ are also addressed by PiZ-UpTime. PiZ-UpTime protects the Raspberry Pi from brown-outs and other power related issues.
The battery is monitored via GPIO 26. Sample software provided uses GPIO 26 and ensures a proper shutdown when the batteries run low. An onboard sensor measures the battery level and performs a hard shutdown when the battery level is low.
A power reset switch on PiZ-UpTimeUPS makes it easy to reboot the Raspberry Pi or PiZ after a software shutdown. The LED jumper shunt removed turns off the LEDs minimizing the power lost.
- Provides UPS functionality for Raspberry Pi Zero or Pi Zero W.
- UPS 5V out (via micro USB) - UPS functionality for Pi-Zero without the header.
- Uses one LithiumIon 14500 (AA size) rechargeable battery. Includes battery management.
- Reset switch for rebooting the Pi. An external reset switch can be connected also.
- Python code shuts down the Raspberry Pi when battery is low.
- Uses GPIO 26 to monitor low battery Voltage.
- Hard shutdown when battery runs dangerously low, protecting the battery.
- LEDs can be turned off to save power.
PI MODELS SUPPORTED
By default, we ship the larger, 40 pin connectors which works with the Raspberry Pi+ (models A+, B+, Pi-2 and Pi-3, and other vendors adhering to the HAT standard). Pi-Zero is also supported, as long as a 40 pin header is soldered onto the Pi-Zero. The mounting holes for the standoff for Pi-zero are such that only two standoffs can be connected.
Older models of the Raspberry Pi with a 26 pin header are not supported.
- Standoffs are not included, so we recommend a 12-15mm standoff of your choice.