The MCP23017 pHAT from ModMyPi and BuyaPi.ca is the perfect I/O expansion pHAT for your Raspberry Pi Zero. The pHAT features a single removable MCP23017 DIP IC, which utilise two i2c pins (which can be shared with other devices if required), and in exchange gives your Raspberry Pi Zero an additional 16 GPIO ports! Each I/O pin can be configured as an input, output or an input with a pullup resistor. The MCP23017 pHAT is stackable, featuring selectable i2c address jumpers which supports up to 8 independent addresses: This means you can add up to 128 additional I/O’s to a single Raspberry Pi by stacking up to 8 MCP23017 pHAT’s!
The MCP23017 pHAT can also be used to protect your Raspberry Pi! We’ve used removable, rather than surface mount, MCP23017 DIP IC’s which can act as replaceable buffer for the Raspberry Pi’s GPIO, essentially protecting your Raspberry Pi from damage via the GPIO ports. The MCP23017 pHAT is powered via the Raspberry Pi’s GPIO port, but features an included (but unsoldered) terminal block for advanced users wanting to use an external 5V source, or stack multiple MCP23017 pHATs on a single Pi. The isolation jumper “PWR JUMPER” must be removed when using an external source.
The product comes fully assembled with push-fit “plug & play” Single Shroud Header, Socket Header, and 14mm HAT Mounting Kit, so there’s no soldering required, and you can get started in no time with the Wiki & Example Code!
Please Note. The external power terminal block is NOT soldered onto the board, and is designed for advanced users only.
- 1 x MCP23017 IC
- Removable & Replaceable DIP Packaged IC’s – If you damage one, simply replace!
- Selectable i2c Address Jumpers – Supports up to 8 Independent Addresses
- 16 Port GPIO Expander Board with Configurable I/O’s (Input/Ouput/Input w/ Pullup)
- Jumper Isolated Terminal Block 5V Input
- Stackable (Up for 8 MCP23017 pHATs, and up to 128 I/O’s)
- pHAT Compliant
- MCP23017 pHAT Kit Includes:
- 1 x Fully Assembled MCP23017 pHAT with 1 x MCP23017 IC
- 1 x Mounting Kit: 4 x M2.5 14mm F/F Stand-offs & 8 x M2.5 5mm Bolts
- 1 x 40 Pin “Single Shroud” Header
- 1 x Unsoldered Two Point Screw Terminal Block
- The MCP23017 Features:
- 16 bit remote bidirectional I/O port
- High speed I2C interface
- Three hardware address pins to allow up to eight devices on the bus
- Configurable interrupt output pins – active-high, active-low or open-drain
- INTA and INTB can be configured to operate independently or together
- Configurable interrupt source – based on input changes, so you don’t need to keep polling the chip
- Polarity Inversion register to configure the polarity of the input port data
- External Reset input
- Low standby current: 1μA max.
- MCP23017 Specifications:
- Bus Frequency: 1.7MHz
- Chip Configuration: 16bit
- IC Interface Type: I2C, Serial
- Interface Case Style: DIP
- No. of I/O’s: 16
- No. of Pins: 28
- Supply Voltage Max: 5.5V
- Supply Voltage Min: 1.8V